Wednesday, December 7, 2011

walking through the valley

My husband, Martin, has been in the hospital for 6 days now. Days that have passed simply by putting one foot in front of the other, going from one task to the next, one mealtime to the next. Days that are so foggy with sadness, fear and worry and then made lighter with every prayer, encouraging SMS, email, and phone call and reminder that the Lord is good.

Můj manžel Martin je v nemocnici už 6 dní. 6 dní, které jsme museli zvládnout krok za krokem, od úkolu k úkolu, od jídla k jídlu. Jsou to dny zamlžené smutkem, strachem a obavami, ale take rozzářené každou modlitbou, povzbuzující SMS, emailem, telefonátem a připomínáním si, že Pán je dobrý.

The support and the ways that so many of you have reached out in the short time is truly truly amazing. Martin and I both covet each note and I can't tell you how many times words of encouragement and scriptures I have received have been EXACTLY what I needed at that moment.

Podpora, které se nám dostává a kterou jste nám mnozí z vás vyjádřili již během tohoto krátkého období je opravdu úžasná. Martin i já jsme vděční za každé slovo povzbuzení a nedokážu ani říct, kolikrát něčí povzbudivé slovo nebo verš z Bible, které jsem dostala, bylo PŘESNĚ tím, co jsem v tu chvíli potřebovala slyšet.


This blog is a small way to communicate with you what is happening with Martin's health and treatment as well as a few small family updates. I honestly couldn't decide between communicating over email or doing something like this, but honestly- this just seemed easier. And anything that is easy these days is good for me.


Skrze tento blog bych s vámi všemi ráda komunikovala o tom, co se děje s Martinem, jak vypadá a jak se vyvíjí jeho zdravotní stav, ale také o tom, jak se vede mě, dětem a rodině. Nemohla jsem se rozhodnout, zda používat email nebo blog, ale nakonec se mi blog zdál nejjednodušším řešením. A upřímmně jsem schopná v těchto dnech dělat opravdu jen to nejjednodušší…

I asked Martin what we should name this blog. He said that in many of the emails that have come in, one word of encouragement from a dear friend and mentor, Richard Davis has stuck with him. Richard said, 'this is a valley but not a pit. It is dark, but it is temporary...In the 23rd Psalm the Shepherd does not divert us away from these dark valleys or lift us straight out. But what He does is enter into the darkness with us and accompany us every step of the way. That presence is with you strongly at this moment.'

Zeptala jsem se Martina, jak náš blog pojmenovat. Řekl mi, že v jednom z mnoha emailů, které dostal, bylo jedno slovo povzbuzení jeho drahého přítele a mentora Richarda Davise, které mu silně utkvělo v paměti. Richard mu napsal “Toto je údolí, ne jáma. Je to tmavé místo, ale je to jen na čas… V Žalmu 23 čteme, že náš Pastýř neodklání naše cesty od těchto tmavých údolí, nevynáší nás z nich. Ale vchází do jejich temnoty s námi, je naším společníkem při každém našem kroku, je při nás. A Jeho přítomnost je teď velmi silně s Tebou.”

This illustration for us is one of hope and not despair, and our desire for this blog and for this part of our journey is that there would be an underlying message of hope. Not because we are strong, but because the presence of the Lord is with us at this moment. and the next. and tomorrow.

Tato ilustrace je pro nás obrazem naděje, ne zoufalství. Toužíme, aby v tomto blogu a i na této části naší cesty byla vidět ta zpráva o naději. Ne proto, že jsme silní, ale proto, že Boží přítomnost je v tuto chvíli s námi. i později. i zítra.

I will also do my best to have updates in both Czech and English. Our life and home is here in the Czech Republic. Martin's heart language is Czech. Mine is English. So I hope that this represents both of us and will connect with those who are here and in the States. Thanks in advance to Nina Rabe for the translation!!!

Budu se snažit, aby byl text na tomto blogu jak anglicky, tak česky. Náš život i domov je tady v České republice. Martinův mateřský jazyk je čeština. Mým jazykem je angličtina. Proto doufám, že to takto bude vyjadřovat nás oba a spojí nás s vámi zde i v Americe. Předem děkuji Nině Rabe za překlad!

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,

he leads me beside quiet waters,

he restores my soul.

He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil,

for you are with me,

your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life.

and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Žalm 23

Hospodin je můj pastýř,
nic mi neschází.
2Na zelených loukách mi dává spočinout,
ke klidným vodám mě přivádí,
3mou duši obnovuje,
po stezkách spravedlnosti vodí mě
pro jméno své.

4I kdybych měl jít údolím stínu smrti,
ničeho zlého se nebojím,
neboť ty se mnou jsi:
tvůj prut a tvá hůl mě konejší.

5Před zraky protivníků
stůl mi prostíráš,
hlavu mi olejem potíráš,
můj kalich přetéká.

6Dobro a láska mě budou provázet
po všechny dny mého života,
zůstávat budu v domě Hospodinově
po dlouhý, věčný čas.

4 comments:

  1. Staying behing you, guys, in our prayers and believing that our God is greater than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike and I are lifting you up in prayer and are amazed over the ways God is walking through this valley with you, in the outpouring of His mercy, encouragement, and strength. Thank you for the blog. Praying!!
    -Anna S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you guys. We love you. "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak." Isaiah 40:29. May you continue to know His presence through this difficult time. We love you, the Newtons

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sweet Janers-Christina and I are praying for you, Martin, and the girls. We love you bunches. "Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever. As the mountains surround Jeruselum, so the Lord surrounds his people, from this time forth and forevermore." Psalm 125:1&2 May you KNOW and FEEL our God's presence in a very real way. I am so thankful to know you have people there who can be the hands and feet of Jesus. Love, love, and more love (and prayers).
    G

    ReplyDelete